While it is important to pay attention to what types of foods you can and cannot eat, some foods contain a lot of good things that help your body heal. As always, if you are unsure about whether or not you will have an allergy issue with a certain food, consult with your doctor. Take vitamin and mineral supplements if recommended by the health care provider.
- Alcohol has a direct connection to your body’s inability to metabolize certain nutrients, so it’s crucial to feed your body with the nutrients it requires to heal properly.
- This pattern makes it more difficult for a person to stay positive and motivated, leading to a potential for relapse.
- Drug and alcohol detox centers in Ohio, like Midwest Detox, incorporate nutrition therapy and a healthy menu plan into their addiction treatment programs.
- Although it may seem difficult initially, once you get used to the idea of getting enough water, your body will soon feel much better.
- Most Americans have been conditioned since childhood to avoid eating fat – or at the very least, to feel guilty about it.
Sean has experience working in various diverse settings, including an outpatient clinic, inpatient detox and rehab, psychiatric emergency, and dual diagnosis programs. His specialty areas include substance abuse, depression, anxiety, mood disorders, PTSD, ADHD, and OCD. A alcohol recovery diet life of sobriety involves more than just abstinence from drugs. It’s about creating a healthy lifestyle that supports physical, emotional, and mental wellness. The effects of addiction reach every aspect of life, and each of these needs to heal to build strong recovery.
The Need for Proper Nutrition
Our community offers unique perspectives on lifelong recovery and substance use prevention, empowering others through stories of strength and courage. But marijuana can also cause chronic vomiting, and people with this condition may be severely malnourished. The foods you eat while you’re high may also be dense in calories and sugar, but they don’t give your body the fuel you need to stay healthy.
The proper amount of these items allows a patient’s body to function properly, begin to heal itself, and reverse the damage caused by drinking or drug use. Virtually every aspect of the body can be improved through a substance-free lifestyle using nutrition as a fundamental piece of self-care. For people experiencing alcohol withdrawal symptoms, eating can prove difficult. But nourishment is important once a physician deems an individual stable enough to eat. Well-balanced, calorie-appropriate meals can help detox patients improve nutrient deficiencies, manage low blood sugar and improve and maintain their body weight.
Avoiding Caffeine and Sugar in Alcohol Recovery
I’ve also noticed that I respond well to homemade sourdough bread, which contains enzymes that pre-digest much of the starch. Sweet potatoes, brown rice, beans, lentils, yucca, and oats are great examples of slow carbs. Weight lost due to appetite suppression created by stimulants. Weight gained after abusing depressants or sedatives, including opioids, benzodiazepines and alcohol. The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine suggest11.5 to 15.5 cups of waterper day for adults.
- That means that specific food choices can help us feel stronger physically, mentally and emotionally.
- Our ancestors instinctively knew that organ meats have more nutrient density than the popular cuts that we eat today.
- These sweeteners are low-glycemic, which means they don’t give you the same sugar rush as regular sugar or corn syrup.
- Type any fruit or vegetable into Google followed by “superfood,” and you’ll find an article extolling its benefits.
While I do not have any sensitivity to dairy, I’ve noticed that drinking lots of milk causes me to gain weight. For this reason, I do use organic milk during periods in which I’m trying to gain muscle and strength. I’ve had clients who intellectually grasp the need for good fats. But at the grocery store, they instinctively opt for “low fat yogurts” and cut off the most marbled parts of their ribeyes. Sprouting grains drastically reduces their starch content and increases their nutrient density.